Sunday, February 24, 2008

By their fruits - 3 Nephi 14: 15-20


15 Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them.

(Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 14:15 - 20)

False prophets that come in sheep’s clothing makes me think of preachers of the word that are more concerned about themselves than about me or the Lord. They love the limelight more than He who is the Light of the world. They will devour your substance while telling you that all is well. In the end you are left spiritually starved and they move on to other targets.

I watched a video of a televangelist recently. He boasted of being a billionaire. He considered those that weren’t striving to become wealthy as idiots. He figured that hell would be full of them, and it would have to be hell to spend an eternity with people like that.

It’s funny. I don’t recall Christ being wealthy. I wonder what this pastor thinks of Him? Because when you stop to think about it, since He created the earth, He obviously knew where all of the precious metals and gemstones are. However, He wasn’t concerned about that. He was concerned about my eternal salvation and yours.

By their fruits ye shall know them. One of the things that I really like about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, is the fact that it has no paid ministry. My current bishop is an accountant, and my previous one is an electrical engineer.

Why do they serve in the church then, if not for a concern for the welfare of others? They certainly don’t line their pockets with cash because of their church service. Their motivations are of love of the Lord, and a love for their fellowmen. I know them by their fruits.

1 comment:

Mindi said...

I think I know which TV preacher you were talking about. Doesn't his name hve something to do with moeny... I just can't think of it right now. Anyway, the guy I'm thinking of says Jesus wasn't as poor as the Bible would lead us to believe. He says Jesus obviously had money or he wouldn't have been able to travel as much as he did, with no home and no place to stay. I watched this interview with him and just shook my head. What kind of fool would belive in what this guy is selling? Um, I mean preaching. What a joke. Yet I'm sure hundreds, if not thousands of poor people continue to send him money and donations to supplement his luxurious lifestyle. Sad.