Monday, February 4, 2008

3 Nephi 12:43-48




43 And behold it is written also, that thou shalt love thy neighbor and hate thine enemy;
44 But behold I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father who is in heaven; for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good.
46 Therefore those things which were of old time, which were under the law, in me are all fulfilled.
47 Old things are done away, and all things have become new.
48 Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.

(Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 12:43 - 48)

My Comments:
The test of true discipleship is to see others as the Savior sees them. That is frequently not a very easy thing to do. It is easy to get caught up in the cares and concerns of this world, and to feel that if someone else has harmed me, then I am justified in trying to harm them.

However, if I can see others as children of a loving God, and therefore my brothers and sisters, I will be more patient with them. I will forgive them quicker; and instead of trying to get even with those that have wronged me, I will try to lift them up out of whatever negative emotions they are experiencing.

This is easy to say, and usually more difficult to do. But as I give place in my heart for the Spirit, and enjoy His companionship, I am less likely to take offense when others do or say things, that perhaps they’ll regret later.

Though I won’t attain it in this life, I need to strive to be perfect. For me, I try to take that one day at a time. Today, I will try to live a good life. Today, I will try to be a little more patient and understanding, realizing that just like me, others go through challenges and struggles as well. Today, I will try to lift the burdens of someone else. Today, if I’m going to be successful in this effort, I will need the companionship of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: