Monday, June 16, 2008

What battles did you fight today? Mormon 3:1-4

1 AND it came to pass that the Lamanites did not come to battle again *until ten years more had passed away. And behold, I had employed my people, the Nephites, in preparing their lands and their arms against the time of battle.
2 And it came to pass that the Lord did say unto me: Cry unto this people—Repent ye, and come unto me, and be ye baptized, and build up again my church, and ye shall be spared.
3 And I did cry unto this people, but it was in vain; and they did not realize that it was the Lord that had spared them, and granted unto them a chance for repentance. And behold they did harden their hearts against the Lord their God.
4 And it came to pass that after this tenth year had passed away, making, in the whole, three hundred and sixty years from the coming of Christ, the king of the Lamanites sent an epistle unto me, which gave unto me to know that they were preparing to come again to battle against us.

(Book of Mormon | Mormon 3:1 - 4)

Just as Captain Moroni prepared for war in a time of peace, so does Mormon. Just as Captain Moroni knew that the Lord would fight their battles if they would repent and humble themselves before Him, so does Mormon. Unfortunately for Mormon, unlike Captain Moroni’s people, his do not choose to turn to the only source that could save them.

Obviously, the people do not wish to die, but if the choice comes down to repenting and having the Lord fight the battle, or struggling to overcome their challenges and adversity alone, and remain in their sins, they choose to fight with their own strength.

How many times do we choose to struggle with our own difficulties instead of turning to the Lord for help? He is all-powerful and mighty to save. He loves us and wants us to succeed in life. He stands ready and willing to help those that will humble themselves before Him and call on Him for guidance and help.

We do not have to fight our daily battles in this life alone. What challenges do we face that are too great for Him? Do we battle with depression, loneliness, addiction, health problems, unemployment, wayward children?

Everyone faces trials and tribulations in this life. It is part of the fabric of life:

25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

(Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 3:25)

12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

(New Testament | 1 Peter 4:12 - 13)

6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

(New Testament | Hebrews 12:6 - 7)

The good news is that we do not have to walk alone:

16 ¶ For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

(New Testament | John 3:16 - 17)

28 ¶ Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

(New Testament | Matthew 11:28 - 29)

7 Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that is with him: for there be more with us than with him:
8 With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the LORD our God to help us, and to fight our battles. And the people rested themselves upon the words of Hezekiah king of Judah.

(Old Testament | 2 Chronicles 32:7 - 8)

14 For behold, I do not require at their hands to fight the battles of Zion; for, as I said in a former commandment, even so will I fulfil—I will fight your battles
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 105:14)

I am grateful to know that when life becomes difficult, as it always does, that I can turn to my Lord and God for deliverance. If I will humble myself before Him, repent of my sins, and strive to do His will, I am never alone.

No comments: