Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Today will be a good day. 4 Nephi 1:14-18

14 And it came to pass that the *seventy and first year passed away, and also the seventy and second year, yea, and in fine, till the seventy and ninth year had passed away; yea, even an hundred years had passed away, and the disciples of Jesus, whom he had chosen, had all gone to the paradise of God, save it were the three who should tarry; and there were other disciples ordained in their stead; and also many of that generation had passed away.
15 And it came to pass that there was no contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people.
16 And there were no envyings, nor strifes, nor tumults, nor whoredoms, nor lyings, nor murders, nor any manner of lasciviousness; and surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God.
17 There were no robbers, nor murderers, neither were there Lamanites, nor any manner of -ites; but they were in one, the children of Christ, and heirs to the kingdom of God.
18 And how blessed were they! For the Lord did bless them in all their doings; yea, even they were blessed and prospered until an *hundred and ten years had passed away; and the first generation from Christ had passed away, and there was no contention in all the land.

(Book of Mormon | 4 Nephi 1:14 - 18)

One hundred and ten years have passed since Jesus visited the American continent after his resurrection. An entire generation has lived in peace and harmony with each other. There is no contention in the land. There are not the normal (as one would define normal in today’s society), plagues of anger, bitterness, jealousy, and pride.

How is this possible? As I live day to day and frequently find reasons to become upset about this or that, how did they live their entire lives in peace? The answer is found in verse 15, “because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people.”

The people no longer put their own desires first in their lives. Their desires were to do God’s will. By so doing they were filled with His love. They became one. When Jesus was in Jerusalem He prayed that His disciples would become one even as He and His Father were one, see John 17:21-23:

21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

They were as concerned for the welfare of their neighbors as they were for themselves. Today, I am going to try and not take offense at others words or actions. Today, I will try to do something kind for someone else. Today, I will try to put a smile on someone else’s face. Today, I will try a little bit harder to make God’s will my own.

Perhaps if I can help someone else today, that person’s burdens of care will be lifted and in turn they might help someone else. It probably won’t spread to the entire 6 billion people on earth today, but that’s ok. If I can follow through on my desires, it will make for a good day for me, and hopefully others around me as well. If I feel good about it at the end of the day today, maybe I’ll want to do it again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Autumn Ables said...

Hi, Dan! Great thoughts and very profound. I wonder myself the same thing how it was ever possible to have continual peace on this Earth? And you're right- their hearts were not set on themsleves. Oh boy, I have a long way to go! But I really admire your goal for 'TODAY' I will help someone and lift their burden.

I just got your email and your response on my blog. As I see a photo of you I remember you- but no we did not meet in person.

I live in Phoenix- just off the
I-17 and Glendale. I think it would be great to start a critique/support group for LDS writers. I joined ANWA a few months back but have not met with my chapter yet because they hold in on a night I can not meet. I guess it wasn't meant to be? Or maybe I'm toolazy to try finding another chapter that could meet when I can! And then you come along...ao maybe this is what I need more.

I have to admit you intimedate me with your writing resume. I've done nothing but my current novel- which is not even half way finished- and some children's books. I'm so new and naive when it comes to writing I am not so sure I'm what your looking for, I apologize. But we can give it a shot!