Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Ultimate Tour Guide - Ether 2:4-6

4 And it came to pass that when they had come down into the valley of Nimrod the Lord came down and talked with the brother of Jared; and he was in a cloud, and the brother of Jared saw him not.
5 And it came to pass that the Lord commanded them that they should go forth into the wilderness, yea, into that quarter where there never had man been. And it came to pass that the Lord did go before them, and did talk with them as he stood in a cloud, and gave directions whither they should travel.
6 And it came to pass that they did travel in the wilderness, and did build barges, in which they did cross many waters, being directed continually by the hand of the Lord.

(Book of Mormon | Ether 2:4 - 6)

What better tour guide to have than the Lord? He guides them with His voice and tells them where to go. If only I could get guidance like that now? Wait a second, can’t I? If I am living my life in harmony with the will of Heavenly Father, then I have the promise that His spirit will lead and guide me. Look at these verses:

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

(New Testament | John 14:26)

Isn’t teaching me all things the same as showing me which direction I should go? I think so.

26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

(New Testament | John 15:26)

The Comforter, i.e. the Holy Ghost will testify of the Savior, who is the person leading the Jaredites in the verses above.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

(New Testament | John 16:13)

Just like the Jaredites were taking a temporal journey, we are all on a spiritual journey. We do not have to travel alone. We do not have to guess which way to go. As we keep the commandments and draw closer to the Lord, we are promised to have His Spirit to be with us.

We can draw closer to the Lord by reading the scriptures like the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Enjoy the journey.

No comments: