Sunday, March 9, 2008

Seek to know 3 Nephi 17:1-3

1 BEHOLD, now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he looked round about again on the multitude, and he said unto them: Behold, my time is at hand.
2 I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words which I am commanded of the Father to speak unto you at this time.
3 Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again.

(Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 17:1 - 3)

Jesus gives a brief discussion on prayer, or rather, how to obtain an understanding of spiritual things. I think that it is significant that Jesus doesn’t tell the people to accept what He is saying simply because He said it. He wants them to understand what He has taught, and that the way for that to happen is for the people to “think” for themselves. There is no blind loyalty being requested here. The people are to study His words out for themselves. Then they are to go to the giver of all truth, Heavenly Father, and ask for His help in understanding what they have been taught.

If I am going to seek spiritual learning I need to prepare my mind and my heart to communicate with the Holy Ghost. That can be accomplished through prayer, fasting, and meditation.

No comments: