Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Good, Better, Best 3 Nephi 28: 1-7

1 AND it came to pass when Jesus had said these words, he spake unto his disciples, one by one, saying unto them: What is it that ye desire of me, after that I am gone to the Father?
2 And they all spake, save it were three, saying: We desire that after we have lived unto the age of man, that our ministry, wherein thou hast called us, may have an end, that we may speedily come unto thee in thy kingdom.
3 And he said unto them: Blessed are ye because ye desired this thing of me; therefore, after that ye are seventy and two years old ye shall come unto me in my kingdom; and with me ye shall find rest.
4 And when he had spoken unto them, he turned himself unto the three, and said unto them: What will ye that I should do unto you, when I am gone unto the Father?
5 And they sorrowed in their hearts, for they durst not speak unto him the thing which they desired.
6 And he said unto them: Behold, I know your thoughts, and ye have desired the thing which John, my beloved, who was with me in my ministry, before that I was lifted up by the Jews, desired of me.
7 Therefore, more blessed are ye, for ye shall never taste of death; but ye shall live to behold all the doings of the Father unto the children of men, even until all things shall be fulfilled according to the will of the Father, when I shall come in my glory with the powers of heaven.

(Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 28:1 - 7)

I love these verses. Jesus asks his disciples what they would like out of life. Nine of them respond that when their lives are over, that they want to return to Him quickly. He is pleased to hear this and tells them that it will be as they requested. However, the other three want something else. They want to continue to work in the Lord’s vineyard here in mortality.

They wanted something better. What I really like about this is that Jesus did not try to persuade the first nine to do the same thing. He was pleased with their righteous desire to want to be with Him. He could’ve asked those three first what they wanted, and it might have persuaded the others to follow suit, but He didn’t. It comes down to good, better, best.

We’re all here in mortality, hopefully trying to do the best that we can. As long as I am striving to do the Lord’s will and to draw closer to Him I feel His love in my life. There are undoubtedly many people that are more spiritual and better at keeping the commandments than I am. However, the Lord is patient with me, and desires what is best for me. He will save me just as fast as I let Him. Would He like me to be as righteous as my Bishop or Stake President, (or insert some other righteous person you look up to here)? I’m sure that He would. Do I want to be as righteous as my Bishop and Stake President? Yes I do. The Lord will help me along the way without beating me over the head because I’m not quite Apostle material yet.

No comments: